Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Of Curry Puffs And Elvis Presley

Curry puffs always remind me of those days when almost every young dude on the block grew long sideburns and donned Elvis' iconic quiff. Back then, the King's pompadour hairdo was known as the curry-puff hairstyle! Getting that huge wave on the head on straight, hard Chinese hair was no easy feat at a time when neither hair gel nor mousse existed. I remember cousin Charles walking around in his house with his mom's roller on his head, much to the disdain of our very traditional grandma!
image credit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/ELVIS-GLASSES-BLACK-BURNS-QUIFF/dp/B000LQAHYM
Curry Puffs - Small pies (Empanadas) with a curried filling of meat and potatoes in a deep-fried or baked pastry shell. They are a popular tea-time snack in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand.
Made these for the first time as I am currently in a baking frenzy, inspired by Pinterest and  my fellow foodie bloggers.

recipe @ http://www.rdasia.com/reader-recipe-curry-puffs
They are not hard to make - the crimping part needs a little practice though. Pinch, fold, pinch fold......

The curried filling is good for pies too.

Sharing with
April of The 21st Century Housewife
Swathi of Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Alea of Premeditated Leftovers
Elsa of Elsa Cooks
Judy of Savoring Today
and me, Penny of Penniless Parenting.

Hearth & Soul Hop

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm, they sound and look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chile has a variety of this recipe and although I don't like it, I love the idea! I looove curry, so I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! Coincidentally I made a comment abt someone's hairstyle this morning calling it 'curry puff" too! :P

    Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the crimped edges of your puffs....so even and smooth. Well done.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an artist too,and a real treasure ! I hope you get appreciations for all your efforts and...please send me one!They look delicious!
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I'll have to try them. We've made them here except the insides were very different. We filled ours with pie filling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious!!
    Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Curry Puffs sound like a real treat and they look delicious too. Your story about Elvis' hair being called a curry puff really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curry puffs looks delicious, Love the similarity with Elvis's hair . thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting this.

    ReplyDelete