Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Julie Ziegler Haymes - Today's Special

What would you pick for your last meal if you were on Death Row? Would you choose your favourite food , something comforting or meaningful?
Brooklyn artist Julia Ziegler Haynes recreates Death Row inmates' last meals for a project entitled Today's Special.
Morbid as it may seem but these last meal requests by Death Row inmates give us a glimpse into the psyche of someone whose final seconds of his life were ticking away.

JAMES REXFORD POWELL
October 1, 2002
One pot of coffee.

KENNETH CHAD CHARM
June 5, 2003
Fried chicken, French fries, hot peppers, corn on the cob, ketchup and hot sauce.

JAMES WILLIE BROWN
November 4, 2003
A foot long chili dog with everything, French fries, a dill pickle, strawberry ice cream and a 7Up.

LEWIS EUGENE GILBERT II
July 1, 2003
A half-gallon of vanilla ice cream, a box of Whoppers and a box of assorted ice cream cones.

HASTINGS ARTHUR WISE
November 4, 2005
A lobster tail, French fries, coleslaw, banana pudding and milk.

ROBERT DALE CONKLIN
July 12, 2005
Filet mingnon wrapped in bacon, de-veined shrimp sauteed in garlic butter with lemon, a baked potato with butter, sour cream, chives, and real bacon bits, corn on the cob, aspara- gus with hollandaise sauce, French bread with butter, goat cheese, cantaloupe, apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream and an iced tea.

source - refinery29

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! that was different and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the concept very interesting and Robert Dale Conklin really knew how to live up his last meal! If I had a last meal what would it be, hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that I would end up on death row but I seriously don't think that a half gallon of vanilla ice cream and whoppers would do it for me! Happy new Year, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this somewhere else and was intriqued by the concept.

    I hate the idea of the sadness of death row. I think it must just be a blue day here in chilly Arizona, cuz this post made me sad!

    I just wanted to say hi, though, and wish you a wonderful New Year filled with grace and joy and adventure and discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I think I would be too nervous to eat or think about food.
    It is an interesting photo shoot however.

    ReplyDelete